Sydney Airport directly and indirectly employs almost 300,000 people, many of whom live in local communities near the airport.
Sydney Airport has a long history of supporting our local community by partnering with a range of community events, clubs, organisations and programs, particularly those which focus on promoting a healthy lifestyle and the environment.
Qantas Australian Women’s Rugby Sevens team
Sydney Airport is proud to support the Qantas Australia Women’s Rugby Sevens team. This historic partnership with Sydney Airport is the first time a partner has supported only the women’s side, highlighting our commitment to developing women’s sport.
Working with councils
In 2015, Sydney Airport expanded our community engagement program, partnering with local councils to deliver initiatives focusing on promoting a healthy lifestyle for the benefit of local residents around the airport.
We signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Marrickville Council to deliver a health and wellbeing program to vulnerable and disadvantaged youth in the Marrickville area. The three-year partnership enables the Marrickville Souths Fitness and Breakfast Club to provide healthy meals, transportation and fitness activities to local and Indigenous young people.
Sydney Airport partners with Sutherland Shire and Rockdale councils to deliver free fitness camps in their local government areas through Live Life Get Active. The camps run in Miranda and Rockdale, providing residents with a free and fun way to get moving and stay healthy.
We also support the plane spotting community through the Botany Bay Council photographic exhibition, with a dedicated Aviation and Airport category.
Conservation Volunteers Australia
Sydney Airport is focused on promoting sustainability in our local environment. Complementing our five year environment strategy, we have partnered with Conservation Volunteers Australia to fund six volunteer days a year for the community to help rehabilitate bushland and coastal areas.
Click to become a conservation volunteer.
IMB Cook Community Classic
Sydney Airport is a Bronze Sponsor of the IMB Cook Community Classic, a major community event held each year in the Sutherland Shire to raise money for local charities in the area, featuring entertainment, an open water swim and a beach soccer competition.
Local sporting clubs
Local clubs play an important role in the community by teaching children valuable life skills such as leadership and teamwork as well as providing the community with healthy lifestyle opportunities. These are values that Sydney Airport promotes and we’re proud to assist the young members of our community with continued guidance, training and experience as well as support the valuable social networks that sport provides the entire community.
- Surf Life Saving Sydney Branch: Our longest partnership, Sydney Airport has been a major sponsor of the Surf Life Saving Sydney Branch since 2001 providing support to the clubs, members, families and juniors across 15 beaches from North Bondi to Burning Palms in the Royal National Park. Skills building, training and development are integral parts of the learning process for junior life savers and Sydney Airport is honoured to provide critical funding to continue their education.
- Comets Baseball Club: Comets Baseball Club has been in operation since 1981. Sydney Airport is proud to support this winter sport based in the Sutherland Shire.
- Marrickville Cricket Club: Marrickville Cricket Club fields more than 220 players each season from under eights to under 16s. Sydney Airport sponsors the club to support the development of its players across the Marrickville and Canterbury local government areas.
- Marrickville Football Club: Sydney Airport provides ongoing support to Marrickville Football Club, which comprises more than 80 teams, 1,100 players and 150 coaches.
- Newtown Junior Jets: The Newtown Junior Jets is an inner west institution and part of the South Sydney Juniors District Rugby League Competition. For almost a decade, Sydney Airport has proudly supported the club and helped promote the skills building of junior rugby league players in a safe and friendly environment.
- Randwick Petersham Cricket Club: Sydney Airport is proud to support the Randwick Petersham Cricket Club, which has a proud history in Sydney’s eastern and inner western suburbs.
- Rockdale City Raiders: Rockdale City Raiders has a long tradition as a family football club with a focus on the development of children. Sydney Airport came on board as a sponsor of the club in 2014.
- St George District Cricket Club: St George District Cricket Club was founded in 1911 and is an important part of the St George community. Sydney Airport commenced a partnership with the club in 2013.
- St George Randwick Hockey Club: St George Randwick Hockey Club caters for all levels, from beginner to advanced men’s and women’s hockey players.
- Sutherland Shire Netball Association: Sydney Airport supports the Sutherland Shire Netball Association as a major sponsor to train players, umpires and coaches across 27 clubs in the Sutherland Shire.