Sydney Airport has presented Starlight Children’s Foundation with $116,000, following a successful Airport Community Giving Tree campaign run over Christmas.
“Sydney Airport is a strong supporter of the local community and we are delighted to donate $116,000 on behalf of the entire airport community to Starlight to help it fund wishes for sick and injured children,” Sydney Airport Chief Executive Officer Kerrie Mather said.
The Airport Community Giving Tree appeal was held over Christmas, raising money through:
- Corporate donations from our airport partners;
- The sale of overnight bags for $10, with $5 donated to the appeal;
- Gift-wrapping bars, offering gift-wrapping for a gold coin donation; and
- Placement of cash collection bins throughout the terminals.
“We chose Starlight as our partner because of the important work it does with thousands of sick and injured children and their families every year,” Ms Mather said.
“The Airport Community Giving Tree concept was an opportunity for the entire airport community to contribute, including 800 airport businesses and organisations, staff and passengers and visitors.
An average Starlight wish costs $6,500 to grant and Sydney Airport specially acknowledged the generosity of corporate sponsors who donated wishes to the campaign:
- Clubs NSW
- Dimension Data
- Guardian Childcare
- Hellmann Worldwide Logistics
- King & Wood Mallesons
- Ooh Media
- The Rotary clubs of Botany Bay, Rockdale City and Marrickville (three wishes) – who not only volunteered in large numbers to staff our gift-wrap counters, but generously lent their collection boxes in the terminals for the duration of the appeal
- SNP Security; and,
- Virgin Australia.
In addition to establishing and facilitating the Airport Community Giving Tree appeal, Sydney Airport also donated two wishes to the campaign.
“It was great to see so many members of the airport community donate so generously to such a worthwhile appeal during the Christmas period,” Ms Mather said.
NEWS EDITORS/CHIEFS OF STAFF: Images of today’s cheque presentation in the Starlight Express Room at the Sydney Children’s Hospital available on request.
Manager, Media and Communications
(02) 9667 6470 or 0437 033 479