The key steps to complete when arriving at Sydney Airport on an international flight normally consists of :
Preparing for arrival at Sydney Airport
Duty free shopping and restrictions
Clearing customs and border protection
Collecting your baggage
Using Services in the Arrivals Hall
Ground Transport Options
Preparing for Arrival at Sydney Airport
Here is some useful information to assist you in planning your arrival at Sydney Airport:
- Most international flights arrive at Terminal 1, however check your ticket or with your airline to confirm your terminal for arrival.
- Contact your airline in advance if you require special assistance and also check our Special assistance section.
- If possible, complete your incoming passenger immigration card before arriving at Sydney Airport.
- The Australian Government has introduced a Travel History Card which all incoming passengers must complete and hand to Customs and Border Protection officers on arrival in Australia, along with their Incoming Passenger Card.
- Visit the Department of Agriculture and Water resources website for information about items you must declare when arriving in Australia.
- Do not take any food off the aircraft.
- If you are a visitor to Sydney, pick up a free copy of the Sydney Guide and Walking Guide from one of the stands after the Heinemann Tax and Duty Free Store.
- No porter services are available in Arrivals.
If you are travelling with children:
- Parents’ room facilities are located in the baggage collection areas and the Arrivals Hall.
- No strollers are available in Arrivals.
If transferring to another flight:
Duty Free Shopping and Restrictions
- Shop for duty free items on arrival at the Heinemann Tax and Duty Free Store, located before the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service check point.
- Pre-order duty free items online before you arrive and pick them up upon arrival at the SYD Airport Tax and Duty Free Store.
- Comply with the restrictions on the quantity of alcohol, cigarettes and general goods you can bring into Australia.
- Visit the Duty free allowances section of our SYD Airport Tax and Duty Free page to check duty free allowances when entering Australia.
Clearing Customs and Border Protection
For information related to customs and border protection requirements, visit our Customs and Border Protection page for arriving passengers.
Collecting Your Baggage
- Find your baggage carousel using the information screens.
- If transferring to a domestic flight, you must collect all checked baggage before transferring.
- If you have lost or damaged luggage, please contact your airline or ground handling representative.
- Oversized items (e.g. golf clubs, strollers, surfboards, boxes and fragile items) can usually be collected from either baggage carousel 6 or 14. Please check with your airline representative to confirm which carousel applies to your oversized items.
- For information related to Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service, requirements visit our Quarantine page.
- Note: The Australian Government has introduced a Travel History Card which require all passengers to declare whether they have been in an Ebola-affected country within the last 21 days.
Services in the Arrivals Hall
- Airport Ambassadors are volunteers who can also assist you with directions or questions.
- Visit our Shopping page and Find page to search for stores and services in the terminal.
- Visit our eating and drinking page for food and beverage options.
- You can change currency at Travelex counters.
- Withdraw Australian currency from the ANZ Bank or ATMs.
- Organise mobile phone connections at Vodafone or Optus.
- For tourist information regarding Sydney and New South Wales, visit the VisitNSW website.
Ground transport options
- Rent a car at the car rental counters located next to the ’Meeting Point’ or visit our Car rental page.
- If transferring to a domestic flight, visit our Terminal transfer page for transport options to get to the Domestic Terminals (T2 and T3).
- Visit our Go page to view transport options from Sydney Airport and indicative rates.
- Visit our Car parking page.