13 September 2019
- New farewell point features giant curved Tasmanian Oak wall, expanded entry points to passport control and 25-metre digital screen
- Forms part of the airport’s ongoing investment of more than one million dollars per day in key facilities and services
- Coincides with Sydney Airport’s 100-year celebrations and recent re-brand
Sydney Airport has unveiled a new departures experience at the T1 International terminal including a refreshed farewell point for travellers and their family and friends.
The farewell point features a curved wall incorporating more than 10,000 lineal metres of Tasmanian Oak weighing 9,000kg, as well as 25-metres of digital screen displaying vibrant images of Sydney, providing the perfect backdrop for a pre-flight selfie.
This forms part of the airport’s ongoing investment of more than one million dollars per day in key facilities and services to enhance the customer experience. Sydney Airport CEO Geoff Culbert was joined by Stuart Ayres, New South Wales Minister for Jobs, Investment, Tourism and Western Sydney to officially launch the space.
“This is one of the most tagged social spots in Sydney and draws a huge selfie crowd. The upgrade has turned the experience into something special for travellers and we’re already seeing it feature heavily on Instagram and other social channels, which is really positive and a great advertisement for Sydney,” Mr Culbert said.
“By opening up the area, we’ve also effectively doubled the circulation space which will significantly improve the journey through to passport control - especially during peaks when we’ve got a lot of people jetting off at the same time.”
Stuart Ayres New South Wales Minister for Jobs, Investment, Tourism and Western Sydney said:
“I’m thrilled to help officially launch the new farewell point at Sydney Airport, delivering a positive experience for the millions of international visitors touching down in Sydney each year.”
“Sydney Airport plays a vital role in driving tourism for Australia, so it’s a welcome sight to see their continued investment in improving the experience and creating a lasting memory for international visitors.”
The launch coincides with the airport’s recent re-brand to better reflect the role Sydney Airport plays in the lives of Sydneysiders and as part of the fabric of the city.
“I’m thrilled with our new look SYD brand, it’s fresh, contemporary and a better representation of where we’re headed - connecting people to the world and striving to make Sydney proud every day,” Mr Culbert said.
As part of its ongoing commitment to transform the experience for customers, Sydney Airport will shortly unveil further works across the International and Domestic terminals.
Sydney Airport’s new departures experience
- Forms part of the airport’s ongoing investment of more than one million dollars per day in key facilities and services to enhance the customer experience
- 53-metre curved wall incorporating over 10,000 lineal metres of Tasmanian Oak weighing 9,000kg
- Two expanded entry points accommodates a greater number of passengers
- 25-metre state-of-the-art digital screen
- 252 individual digital panels