Sydney Airport Limited (ACN 165 056 360) and its subsidiaries (Sydney Airport, we or us) are committed to protecting your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act).
2. What personal information do we collect?
3. Information collected in general dealings
Information we may collect about you in general dealings includes:
- your name, contact details, email address, gender, date of birth, employment details, employment history, flight details or destination, driver licence number and passport number;
- information collected when you use our website, www.sydneyairport.com.au (Website), WiFi services, mobile applications or other online services including your IP address or the MAC address associated with your wireless device (Online Services);
- information when you make an enquiry or a complaint, whether via our Online Services, in person at the Airport or by otherwise contacting us;
- recordings of your image and/or voice through the use of Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) systems, hand held devices (such as a video camera or smart device), passenger processing systems and other surveillance devices;
- vehicle licence plate numbers; and/or
- recordings of your voice from calls to certain airport operations or security telephone lines.
4. Information collected relating to security or airfield operations
In the case of matters relating to security or airfield operations - for example, applications for an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC), other forms of identification card or an Authority to Drive Airside (ADA) at Sydney Airport, or as part of our Drug and Alcohol Management Plan (DAMP) - we may collect additional personal information, including sensitive information, in order to manage and administer our business systems and comply with our legislative obligations. This information includes:
- your place of birth, country of citizenship and gender;
- your photo; and/or
- in the case of applications for an ASIC or other form of identification card, your previous residential addresses for the last 10 years, details of previous criminal offences, details of any pending prosecutions, and information provided to us by relevant government agencies (such as the outcome of criminal records checks, security assessments and immigration checks).
5. Information collected in retail and marketing related matters
In the case of retail and marketing-related matters, we might collect additional information such as:
- your preferences concerning types of products or services;
- the products you purchased at the airport or services used at the airport including amount spent on products/services;
- how often you visit the airport;
- the frequency of use of certain types of products or services;
- the methods, purpose and frequency of travel;
- your travel destination or preferred destinations;
- number of people travelling with you;
- number of people you are meeting or farewelling at the airport;
- feedback you post on social media about Sydney Airport;
- your income demographics; and
- your use of our Website, our free WiFi services, our mobile apps and social media platforms you use.
6. Information collected relating to fast passenger processing systems
When you access or use, or attempt to access or use, any automated or semi-automated passenger processing systems provided by Sydney Airport (including, for example, check-in kiosks at the Airport), we will collect your biometric data and passport information (including your passport number, name, date of birth, gender, nationality, place of birth, a digitized copy of your passport photograph and your airline frequent flyer number (if any)) from you.
We will also collect your boarding pass information from the airline with which you have booked a flight departing from or arriving at Sydney Airport.
We may also collect your personal information from third party retailers within the airport and government departments, bodies or law-enforcement agencies for the purpose of facilitating your efficient journey through the airport.
If your personal information is not collected by Sydney Airport as set out above, you will not be able to use our fast passenger processing systems.
7. Information collected relating to investments in ASX-listed Sydney Airport
In the case of investment-related matters we might collect information such as:
- your bank account details;
- your address; and
- your tax file number.
8. How do we collect information?
Personal information will normally only be collected directly from you when you deal with us by telephone, by correspondence through a letter, fax or e-mail, via our Website, by making an application for an ASIC, ADA or other form of identification card, or through direct face-to-face contact.
Other ways in which we collect personal information may include:
- through our Online Services, including when you logon to Wi-Fi and accept terms and conditions for Wi-Fi usage at our premises;
- where you access any of our retail systems;
- when you contact us, including by phone, email or social media;
- when you access or use our fast passenger processing systems;
- when you subscribe to any Sydney Airport newsletters, participate in surveys, questionnaires, requests for feedback, competitions or promotions or become a member of any Sydney Airport loyalty programs;
- when you submit your resume or an application, or participate in interviews or testing, for employment or contracting opportunities at Sydney Airport;
- the recording of your image and/or voice through the use of CCTV systems, hand held devices (such as a video camera or a smart device) and other surveillance devices on Sydney Airport’s premises for the purposes of monitoring your access to Sydney Airport’s premises and to ensure the safety of Sydney Airport’s personnel and the public generally. Sydney Airport’s use of surveillance devices is part of an ongoing crime prevention initiative, targeting crime and other risks to aviation safety and airport security. All footage captured by surveillance devices is retained for a specific period, after which time it is erased, unless it has been identified and is retained for the purpose of investigating a specific incident;
- when you access (or request access to) or use car parks located on Sydney Airport premises, including your name, email address, contact details and the recording of your vehicle licence plate number and your payment information (for example, your BSB and account number in the event such details are required in order to provide you with a refund); and
- the recording of calls to certain airport operations and security telephone lines for security and/or safety purposes.
There may be occasions when we collect personal information about you from a third party, such as:
- a service provider;
- a customer airline or retail outlet;
- in relation to security matters, a government department, body or law-enforcement agency; or
- a publicly available source.
9. Cookies and other online tracking systems
You can disable your web browser from accepting cookies. If you do so, you can still access the Website, but not all services, transaction or functions may be available.
Where devices connect, or individuals log on, to Sydney Airport’s internet terminals or through Wi-Fi at Sydney Airport’s premises, we may collect aggregated information regarding internet usage. We may also collect some personal information with your consent.
Sydney Airport partners with third party advertising networks to either display advertising on Sydney Airport’s internet terminals or through Wi-Fi at Sydney Airport’s premises to users’ mobile devices and laptops. If you respond in the affirmative (yes) to a particular sponsored or third party advertiser’s question we will be supplying your contact details and cookie data to that sponsor only, this sponsor may use this information to contact you or display relevant offers on their or 3rd party websites.
10. Location information from mobile devices
Where a device (for example mobile telephones, tablets or laptops) is identifiable by our Wi-Fi or Bluetooth networks at Sydney Airport, we or our third party service providers may collect data relating to the device identification code and its location. We use this data to better understand space utilisation and passenger flows for security purposes and in order to improve the customer experience and our services.
11. What if you refuse to supply information?
Generally speaking, you are not obliged to provide us with personal information about you. However, failure to do so may mean that we are unable to transact with you, process any application for the issue of an authority, licence, pass or permit, or provide you with an appropriate level of service.
12. Dealing with Sydney Airport anonymously or using a pseudonym
You may access the Website on an anonymous basis or contact Sydney Airport with a general query anonymously or using a pseudonym. However, where you are purchasing services from us (such as parking) you will ordinarily not be able to complete the booking without providing us with certain personal information.
13. How does Sydney Airport use your personal information?
Personal Information collected by Sydney Airport is generally held and used as necessary for purposes directly related to its functions and activities including in any of the following ways:
- to provide you with services and to help us develop, improve, manage and administer all of the services we provide to you, including our Online Services, fast passenger processing systems, parking and other ground transportation related services and the conduct of surveys, questionnaires and requests for feedback;
- to ensure that our business systems are functional and reliable, which may include fulfilling legal obligations;
- to process applications effectively for the issue of authorities, licenses, passes, permissions and permits (including ADAs, ASICs, and other identification cards);
- to assess whether or not any authorities, licenses, passes, permissions and permits should be cancelled or suspended;
- to conduct marketing activities including market research, customer profiling, customer insights and targeted marketing activities and communicating information about our products and services (with your consent, if required);
- as part of the investigation and analysis of incidents or occurrences (including potential incidents and occurrences) which occur on or at Sydney Airport;
- to investigate, respond to and defend claims made against, or involving, Sydney Airport;
- to contract with individuals (such as verifying your identity or communicating with you); and
- to enforce a contract or agreement which Sydney Airport has with you.
We may also use your personal information for related purposes such as to notify you of services, special offers, opportunities, products or benefits which are being offered by Sydney Airport or any of our strategic alliance partners, customer airlines, tenants or associated organisations.
We also collect, hold and use your personal information as required or authorised by or under an Australian law such as aviation and taxation laws, counter terrorism legislation and the Corporations Act.
14. Opting in or out
You can also let us know that you would like to “opt out” by contacting us using the contact details set out in the "Contacting us" section. In your request, please indicate that you wish to stop receiving marketing communications from us. 15. When does Sydney Airport disclose personal information to third parties?
Sydney Airport will only disclose your personal information to persons or bodies external to Sydney Airport where authorised or permitted by the Act, including in the following circumstances:
- where you consent to the disclosure;
- in the case of information collected through your application for an ASIC or any other identification card, this may be provided to government agencies from time to time (such as the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department (Australian Security Intelligence Organisation or AusCheck), the Australian Federal Police, the Department of Home Affairs (including Australian Border Force), and the NSW Police) for security, law enforcement, customs and immigration purposes;
- to our contractors or service providers (for the purpose of the services which they provide) so that we can store information, complete a transaction on your behalf, provide you with a service that you have requested or seek your participation in surveys, questionnaires or requests for feedback;
- to airlines which operate out of Sydney Airport and to government departments, bodies and law-enforcement agencies for the purposes of facilitating your passage through Sydney Airport through the use of our fast passenger processing systems;
- where required by law, including under an order issued by a court or tribunal; or
- for law enforcement or safety purposes, or operational purposes for which the information was collected.
16. Disclosure of your personal information overseas
Sydney Airport may disclose personal information to recipients who are located outside Australia, including, for example, to its third party service providers who are either located or operate their business overseas. The recipients of such personal information may be located in the United States of America, Ireland, Canada, Japan, Germany, France, Belgium or the United Kingdom.
17. Government related identifiers
Sydney Airport may collect government related identifiers (such as your passport number or driver’s licence number). However, we do not use such identifiers as our own identifiers.
18. How does Sydney Airport protect your personal information?
Sydney Airport has implemented security measures which are designed to provide reasonable protection against the misuse, interference or loss of your personal information and to prevent unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of your personal information. These measures include:
- network segregation to separate systems of different functions and sensitivity;
- firewalls protecting the network and access control mechanisms;
- secure, access-controlled premises;
- secured locations with limited access for information stored as hard copy;
- confidentiality provisions in all our employment and service contracts; and
- registers which are maintained of all visitors to any part of our premises where personal information may be stored, and such visitors are required to be accompanied by a member of our staff at all times.
Sydney Airport also employs secure methods for the destruction or de-identification of personal information, which is undertaken when permitted by law and where such information is no longer required by us.
19. What rights do you have to access and correct your personal information held by us?
Sydney Airport takes reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information that it collects or uses is accurate, up to date and complete.
You may request access to, and correction of, any of your personal information held by Sydney Airport, and such access will be provided, and corrections made except where Sydney Airport refuses such requests in accordance with the APPs.
All requests for access and/or correction will be processed within a reasonable time. In some situations, you may be able to access and correct your personal information directly through our Website. Otherwise, please contact our Privacy Officer by email, phone, fax or mail, if you want to access or correct your personal information.
There is no application fee for making a request to access your personal information. However, we may charge an administrative fee for the provision of information in order to recover costs. If Sydney Airport does not agree to provide you with access to your personal information or to amend or annotate the information that we hold about you, you may seek a review of our decision.
If Sydney Airport does not agree to make the requested changes to your personal information, you may make a statement about the requested changes and we will attach it to your record.
20. Third party websites
Sydney Airport may provide links to third party websites on its Website or through its WiFi, or allow third party advertising on its Website, through its WiFi or via the IT network at Sydney Airport’s premises.
21. How does Sydney Airport control access to CCTV footage?
CCTV footage is released under provision of Sydney Airport’s corporate policy. This policy is written in line with the National Approach to Closed Circuit Television, the Australian Standards for CCTV and the APPs.
22. Aims of the CCTV System
CCTV significantly increases the ability to monitor areas of the airport and aims to do the following: assist in the prevention and detection of acts of unlawful interference against aviation; reduce acts of unlawful interference with aviation by deterring potential offenders through fear of detection; assist Government and law enforcement agencies with the detection and identification of offenders; and to aid in a more effective assessment and response to unlawful acts of interference including security, safety and emergency situations. For further information, view the CCTV Fact Sheet. Any other inquiries can be directed via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 02 9667 9111.
If you have any complaints about a breach of the APPs, by Sydney Airport, in relation to your personal information, please make it in writing, either to the email or mailing address below.
Complaints will be reviewed by Sydney Airport’s Privacy Officer and we will respond as soon as we can. A response will usually be provided within 30 days of receipt.
If, after following the procedure outlined above, you believe that your complaint has not been satisfactorily addressed by Sydney Airport, you can make a complaint to the Office of the Information Commissioner (OAIC) at www.oaic.gov.au.
24. Contacting Us