ID and Access Services Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if my ASIC or VIC is lost, stolen, defaced or destroyed?

You must advise appropriate parties immediately or penalties can apply. Information can be found here.

How long does it take for a background check to be completed?

Application forms are sent to the Australian Government’s AusCheck service and processing times can vary for each application. Visit AusCheck for more information.

Given the time required to undertake background checks, we strongly recommended that all applicants submit forms with relevant proof of identity documents to Sydney Airport ID and Access Services as early as possible to ensure you have access when you require it.

Generally, it takes between two and eight weeks for your background check to be completed, but sometimes it can take longer depending on the circumstances.

Am I required to update my ASIC details if I change my address or my name?

Yes. If you change your address or name, you must notify the issuing authority for your ASIC. It is an aviation offence if you do not update your details. You could also be fined by the Office of Transport Security. More information can be found here.

How do I apply for a Visitor Identification Card (VIC)?

Visitor pass can be applied as standalone, Multiday or EVIC. More information can be found here.

Do I have to make an appointment for the test?

You are not required to book an appointment for your test. There is also an option to complete testing online. More information can be found here.

If I have submitted my application and sat and passed the Security Awareness test, do I have to re-sit the test when I collect my card?

No, you are not required to re-sit the test if you have already passed the requirements when your application was lodged.

Can I submit my ASIC application by fax or email?

No. We do not accept applications by fax or email. Only signed application forms available from ID and Access Services will be accepted.

How do I renew my ASIC?

The process for applying for a new ASIC and renewing an ASIC are the same. More information can be found here.

Can I submit a police certificate from another country if it is not in English?

No. All police certificates must be translated in English. More information can be found here.

Can I return my card by mail if I have left my job at the airport?

Yes. Please mail the card to:

ID and Access Services
Locked Bag 5000
Sydney International Terminal
Mascot NSW 2020

I am an ASIC holder and I have recently been convicted and sentenced for an aviation security-related offence. Am I required to report it and how do I report it?

Yes. You are required to report any aviation security-related offence. You may obtain a form and report it to your ASIC-issuing body (for example, Sydney Airport) or directly to AusCheck. You can download a form from the AusCheck website at or contact ID and Access Services for assistance.

What happens if my ASIC expires?

You must return your ASIC to the issuing authority within one month of your ASIC expiring. You can not enter a Secure Area if you have an expired ASIC.

If you are caught trying to enter a Secure Area with an expired ASIC, you could be issued with a SACL AVSEC Notice to attend an interview. You may have to resit a Security Awareness test.

Your ASIC and access could be suspended for a certain time or it could be cancelled. You could lose your right to work at the airport.

You could also be fined a maximum penalty of $1100 by OTS.

Do I have to return my ASIC once it has expired or is no longer required (e.g. if I leave my job at the airport)?

You must return your ASIC either in person or via mail to the issuing authority or penalties can apply. More information can be found here.

Can I keep the same photo as last time?

No. A new photo must be taken every time you are issued with a new ASIC. This is a government requirement.