Sydney Airport Corporation Limited (“SACL”) is committed to protecting your personal information in accordance with the National Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
What personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information which SACL collects will depend on the circumstances of its collection and the nature of your particular dealing with us.
Information we collect about you in general dealings could include:
- your name, address, telephone numbers, date of birth, employment details, flight details and your drivers licence number;
- a recording of your image on Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) footage; and/or
- a recording of your voice from calls to certain airport operations or security telephone lines.
In the case of matters relating to security or airfield operations - for example, applications for an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC), other forms of identification card or an Authority to Drive Airside (ADA) at Sydney Airport - we may collect additional personal information in order to manage and administer our business systems and comply with our legislative obligations. This information includes:
- your place of birth, country of citizenship and gender;
- your photo; and / or
- in the case of applications for an ASIC or other form of identification card, your previous residential addresses for the last 10 years, details of previous criminal offences, details of any pending prosecutions, and information provided to us by relevant government agencies (such as the outcome of criminal records checks, security assessments and immigration checks).
In the case of retail and marketing-related matters, we might collect additional information such as:
- your preferences concerning types of products or services;
- the frequency of use of certain types of products or services;
- the methods, purpose and frequency of travel;
- your preferred destinations; and
- your income demographics.
How do we collect information?
Personal information will normally only be collected directly from you when you deal with us by telephone, by correspondence through a letter, fax or e-mail, via our Internet website, by making an application for an ASIC, ADA or other form of identification card, or through direct face-to-face contact.
Other ways in which we collect personal information include:
- through the use of ‘cookies’ on our website. A cookie is a very small text file which is stored on your computer’s hard drive when you first visit our website. This information may be used to identify repeat visitors to our website and areas of interest on our website;
- where you access any of our retail systems;
- recording your image on cctv footage taken on SACL premises. SACL’s use of CCTV is part of an ongoing crime prevention initiative, targeting crime and other risks to aviation safety and airport security. All footage captured by cctv is retained for a specific period, after which time it is erased; and
- through recording calls to certain airport operations and security telephone lines for security and/or safety purposes.
There may be occasions when we collect personal information about you from a third party, such as:
- a service provider;
- a customer airline or retail outlet;
- in relation to security matters, a government department, body or law-enforcement agency;
- a publicly available source.
What if you refuse to supply information?
Generally speaking, you are not obliged to provide us with personal information about you. However, failure to do so may mean that we are unable to transact business with you, process any application for the issue of an authority, licence, pass or permit, or provide you with an appropriate level of service.
Opting in or out
At the point we collect information from you, you may be asked to “opt in” to consent to us using or disclosing your personal information other than in accordance with this policy or any applicable law. For example, you may be asked to opt-in to receive further information or communications from our advertisers and supporters which do not fall into one of the categories described above.
You will generally be given the opportunity to “opt out” from receiving communications from us or from third parties that send communications to you in accordance with this policy. For example, you will be given the option to unsubscribe from e-newsletters and other marketing or promotional material sent by us. You may “opt out” from receiving these communications by either clicking on an unsubscribe link at the end of an email.
If you receive communications purporting to be connected with us or our services that you believe have been sent to you other than in accordance with this policy, or in breach of any law, please write to us at email@example.com
How does SACL use your personal information?
Personal Information collected by SACL is generally used in any of the following ways:
- to help us develop, improve, manage and administer all of the services we provide to you;
- to ensure that our business systems are functional and reliable, which may include fulfilling legal obligations;
- to process applications effectively for the issue of authorities, licenses, passes, permissions and permits (including ADAs, ASICs, and other identification cards);
- to assess whether or not any authorities, licenses, passes, permissions and permits should be cancelled or suspended;
- to conduct marketing activities including market research;
- as part of the investigation and analysis of incidents or occurrences (including potential incidents and occurrences) which occur on or at Sydney Airport;
- to investigate, respond to a defend claims made against, or involving, SACL;
- to enforce a contract or agreement which SACL has with you.
- We may also use your personal information for related purposes such as
- to notify you of services, special offers, opportunities, products or benefits which are being offered by SACL or any of our strategic alliance partners, customer airlines, tenants or associated organisations.
We will not use your personal information for purposes other than those set out above without your consent or unless that use is authorised under the Privacy Act 1988.
When does SACL disclose personal information to third parties?
SACL will only disclose your personal information to persons or bodies external to SACL where permitted by the Privacy Act 1988, including in the following circumstances:
- where you consent to the disclosure;
- in the case of information collected through your application for an ASIC or any other identification card, this may be provided to government agencies from time to time (such as the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department (Australian Security Intelligence Organisation or AusCheck), the Australian Federal Police, the Australian Customs Service, the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship, and the NSW Police) for security, law enforcement, customs and immigration purposes;
- to our contractors (for the purpose of the services which they provide) so that we can complete a transaction on your behalf or provide you with a service that you have requested;
- where required by law such as under a subpoena issued by a court; or
- for law enforcement or safety purposes, or operational purposes for which the information was collected.
How does SACL protect your personal information?
SACL has security measures designed to provide reasonable protection against misuse and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Such measures include:
- network segregation for sensitive information stored electronically, with access restricted to staff holding appropriate positions;
- firewalls and login password protocols for all information stored electronically;
- secure, access-controlled premises;
- limited access locations for information stored as hard copy;
- confidentiality provisions in all our employment and service contracts;
- registers are maintained of all visitors to any part of our premises where personal information may be stored, and such visitors are required to be accompanied by a member of our staff at all times.
- SACL also employs secure methods for the destruction or de-identification of personal information, which is undertaken when permitted by law and where such information is no longer required by us.
What rights do you have to access and correct your personal information held by us?
You may request access to, and correction of, any of your personal information held by SACL, and such access will be provided and corrections made except where precluded by the Privacy Act 1988.
All requests for access and/or correction will be processed within a reasonable time. In some situations, you may be able to access and correct your personal information directly through our website.
There is no application fee for making a request to access your personal information. However, we may charge an administrative fee for the provision of information in order to recover costs.
How does Sydney Airport control access to Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) Footage?
CCTV footage is released under provision of the company’s corporate policy. This policy is written in line with the National Approach to Closed Circuit Television, the Australian Standards for CCTV and the National Privacy Principals.
Aims of the CCTV System
CCTV significantly increases the ability to monitor areas of the airport and aims to do the following:
- assist in the prevention and detection of acts of unlawful interference against aviation
- reduce acts of unlawful interference with aviation by deterring potential offenders through fear of detection
- assist Government and law enforcement agencies with the detection and identification of offenders
- to aid in a more effective assessment and response to unlawful acts of interference including security, safety and emergency situations.
For further information, view the CCTV Fact Sheet. Any other inquiries can be directed via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 02 9667 9111.
Sydney Airport Corporation Limited
Locked Bag 5000
Sydney International Airport NSW 2020
Telephone (02) 9667 9111
Facsimile (02) 9667 1592